Monday, May 07, 2007

Music

I am writing music again. Somehow I put myself together and found a place and a time to reconstruct my own willingness to express myself musically. In a corner of my living room there is a keyboard, surrounded by guitars and a little mixer I bought a couple of years ago. Last night I was playing the guitar (using the Paul McCartney method to writing songs, which is, grab the guitar, start playing and see what comes out) and I recorded a two-sections line of something that sounds like a blues. It is not a 12-bar blues, but more like a melody with blues beat. I guess it might become a chorus of a song.
But that is the main thing right now. Since I have always liked the idea of making music but never spent so much time actually doing it, I feel I am a bit out of my element. Like when you learn a new language, you end up saying funny things and mumbling a lot of uncomprehensible sentences that lead nowhere. Until to get to know the melody of the language (music is really everywhere) and suddenly you are breezing through words and expressions. And stop making people laugh for all the wrong reasons.
The main two problems I am facing are: 1. I suck at writing lyrics. I just can't think of a nice line to put on a song. 2. Music comes to me in sections, so I end up producing these "moments" that sound nice, but that come from nowhere and go nowhere. So pretty big problems. But I am not getting alarmed by it, since it has been a while since simply try to enjoy this passtime instead of torturing myself by focusing on my weak sides. There is also what writers call "white page panic", sitting in front of an empty page with no idea of what to write about. And feeling that the well has finally dried up. I now think that is bullshit. I am so proud of myself.
On the technical side of things, I am in a growing need of more tracks to record more instruments. I have a very humble, analog mixer (works with cassette tapes, yes, they still exist) with four tracks. So I would normally start with my acoustic guitar as a base of the song - to - be (1st track), and then add bass guitar (2nd), drums (3rd), and then I have to choose between singing something (or humming, given my limited gifts as a lyricist) or playing an electric guitar solo. At this point and to the relief of many, I normally choose the guitar, which leads me to another dead - end, because I have no effects for the guitar, and it sounds like a 12 - year old kid trying to sound like Barry White.
So, my shopping list is topped by a multi-pedal effect for the guitar, followed by a 8-tracks mixer. I will start saving... In the meantime, I am happy to be writing again. It is a wonderful thing that disconnects me from the real world, and above all, no matter what the final music sounds like, it is such fun!!!

No comments: